Thursday, October 27, 2011

Running Again

Jason and I are finally getting back into our running routine now that we've settled into our new place. It has been so much harder for me than I thought it would be! He jumped right back into it, and has been increasing his miles steadily and is always ready to go. I'm still hanging around the 2 mile mark, and trying to muster up some motivation to get my butt out on the road! I seem to be really intolerant of the dry heat, because my nose feels like there's 1000 fire ants in it when I breathe in. That's when the panic sets in and my breathing gets all sloppy. I had weight induced asthma for a few years, and there is nothing scarier than not being able to catch your breath. The asthma is gone, but I'm still always paranoid about getting that feeling. Bringing along some music has definitely helped, and keeps me distracted from obsessing over my breathing

I've ran one 5k around the neighborhood this month, and it felt so good! What's funny is that I absolutely love how I feel after I get done with a run. It's the getting going and out the door part that I really struggle with. Today I got my run in nice and early, knowing that if I put it off until after dinner that it just wasn't going to happen. I keep telling myself that 2 miles is better than making excuses and watching The Office...

What about you? Do you struggle with lack of motivation with workouts/running? What do you do to keep on track?

Andrea

4 comments:

  1. I completely understand that struggle. It's SO much harder for me to get back into a running routine than I would have expected. I love the endorphins from exercise, but being "lazy" can be do tempting when you get used to it. For me, it's running before I come home after work, or making a running date with a friend, or at least not sitting down to relax before I get my run out of the way. Or, my favorite, signing up for a race! Wow - this is a long comment, sorry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Heather! I definitely agree about the not sitting down to relax thing, it's a death wish for an exercise routine! ;)
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately I can't stay committed to a regular work out schedule--life gets so crazy w/ the 5 children that chasing them around counts as my "regular" work out. Sad, but true.
    For enduance though eat chia prior to work outs!! Make a great raw carob pudding w/ 2 T chia and 1 T hemp seeds--I am posting my recipe soon BTW :)
    Peace and Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is definitely NOT the ideal solution, but when winter sets in where I live and the roads and trails get snowy and icy I find that the only way to motivate myself to hit the treadmill is to get to watch some guilty pleasure TV while I do it - ie The Office = a 30 minute run! When my girlfriends are not feeling up for a gym date I can always count on my Thursday evening gym date with some sexy medical residents...

    ReplyDelete